Iceland is a dream destination for most landscape photographers. Together with Andrew Dawes, I share our best tips for improving your landscape photography experience in Iceland, to help you get the most out of your next photography trip.
1. Know where you are going - It's important to maximise your time while you are there. To do that I recommend a map called International Photographer of Iceland. https://international-photographer.com/en/
2. Work out what the weather is doing - One of the biggest elements that will impact how successful your trip is will be the weather. I used an app called Vedur for iOS.
3. Build flexibility in your plan - Hire a motorhome so you’re not restricted to check in and check out times that could mess with your landscape photography plans.
4. Optimise your shooting time - During summer the days are long and the nights are short and don’t get completely dark. The best time to shoot with the best light was between 10:30pm and 2:00am during which time included the sunset and sunrise.
5. Consider your Lenses - Think about the sorts of landscapes you want to capture. I took my 17-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses. If I could only take 2 lenses, I probably leave the 17-35mm lens home.
6. Avoid crowds - Generally you’ll encounter less people in Iceland during winter, however the weather in more extreme. During summer when the weather is likely to be more pleasant, many locations can be packed with tourists.nScout your locations out during the day but return at night. Find locations that are off the main ring road.
7. Be prepared for bad weather - During winter the weather in Iceland can get fairly intense, so make sure you’re prepared. Even in summer it can get very cold, and it important if you are going to spend hours at night shooting that you are warm dry and comfortable, so sure you have gloves, beanies and plenty of layers.
8. Get into the high country with a 4WD - While there are lots of locations in easy reach of the main ring road around Iceland, they will be popular. To make the most of you visit, consider getting access to a 4WD (even for part of your time there), so you can access some of the spectacular and unique locations the high country has to offer.
Interested in joining me on a workshop? Check out - https://andrewmarr.com.au/workshops
MY MAIN LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR
My NEW main camera - http://geni.us/9Ltxi
My OLD main camera - http://geni.us/7TsH
New Tripod - http://geni.us/MAHu
New Ball Head - http://geni.us/fqW6fBJ
'L' Bracket - http://geni.us/YzE5s
Spare Battery - http://geni.us/bfT4q
Memory Cards - http://geni.us/v3EdLwe
The lens for those big vistas -
Most Used Lens - http://geni.us/12DQz
When I need that extra reach -
My filter mount - http://geni.us/WDkD
Filter adaptor ring - http://geni.us/e1mmMnY
Slim Landscape Polariser - http://geni.us/DznOk
ND Soft Grad Filters - http://geni.us/sUIBYo
ND Hard Grad Filters - http://geni.us/Jd2YUle
Reverse NG Grad Filters -
Little Stopper - http://geni.us/ooEeCA
6 Stop ProGlass - http://geni.us/pHp3fK
Big Stopper - http://geni.us/fxweOl8
10 Stop ProGlass - http://geni.us/umBYeNY
MY DRONE PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR
My Awesome Drone - http://geni.us/EJGcA3
Spare Battery - http://geni.us/MHw8LL
Best Filters - http://geni.us/mDpe
Low-Noise Props - http://geni.us/A8lQQ
GEAR TO HELP WITH TRAVEL
Red Whips - http://geni.us/PqdQ
Think Tank Bags Tablet - http://geni.us/kkPDKA1
Think Tank Bags Pro - http://geni.us/yNC7
Generic Cable Bags - http://geni.us/b9eD
PlugBug - http://geni.us/tnaIhg
Power Brick - http://geni.us/rTmQe3
Durable Charging Cord - http://geni.us/ZctbAI
External Drive - http://geni.us/jm5eZGt
SSD External Drive - http://geni.us/27S9hfA
Gnarbox - http://geni.us/fBTW
Best bag for carry on luggage - http://geni.us/yWAd8zF
USB Charger for D800 battery - http://geni.us/ZbFNM82
USB Charger for G7Xii battery - http://geni.us/HvyPix
T-shirts are now available for purchase at http://geni.us/Aq5yJjt
Photography Gear - http://geni.us/lcoUGn
Current Landscape Photography Gear - http://geni.us/9qYv
Current Vlogging Kit - http://geni.us/IGrpPY
CONNECT WITH ME
Instagram (for other images) | http://geni.us/etzBTv
Facebook (ask me questions) | http://geni.us/J97nDZ
Twitter (for my latest adventures) | http://geni.us/jbBW
Kit (My Favourite Gear) | http://geni.us/lcoUGn
WANT TO SEE MORE OF MY ADVENTURES?
Landscape Photography Adventures in Iceland - http://geni.us/wZBFcD
Landscape Photography in the UK - http://geni.us/SHTM
Seascape Photography Images - http://geni.us/9fEdAP
Post-Processing Landscape Photography Images - http://geni.us/z0nWFn
************ PLEASE SUBSCRIBE *************
If you’d like to be notified when I upload my next landscape photography adventure, please subscribe to my channel | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSviZyZi6hJLDr5qpqpWEGA?sub_confirmation=1
Thank you for your support! :)
#photography #Iceland #travel